· Hygge in the desert. Twelve newly renovated Spa Suites bring hygge to the desert at Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa. A large sectional invites cozy gatherings of friends or family by the glass rock fireplace in the living area, with a fully stocked wet bar just steps away. Once guests are gone, canopied patio daybeds tempt for an al fresco nap alone or snuggled up with a loved one. And the hygge piece de resistance: a deep outdoor tub with privacy screen for a candlelit bath under the stars. Visit www.sanctuaryaz.com or call 855-245-2051.
· Spa hygge with friends. A fire pit in the Sanctuary (relaxation area) makes a natural gathering place for hygge with friends during a spa day at Pebble Beach Resorts on California’s Monterey Peninsula. Guests can curl up with a blanket in a lounge chair and enjoy tea and fresh fruit as a group, then pair off with a bestie for their turn in the Flotation Wrap Suite. There, two floating beds tempt spa-goers to drift off during their choice of three 45-minute flotation wrap treatments: the Swiss Crème, Cloud Nineteen & Espresso Limón Slimming Wrap. Flotation wraps are $170/one, $260/two. The Spa at Pebble Beach is one of only 56 spas in the world to receive the 2017 Forbes Five-Star rating. Book a spa treatment at 866-993-6947.
· Hygge with an ocean breeze. At night, Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa’s palm-fringed patio is lit by tiki torches – the perfect setting for an evening by the firepit sharing a bottle of wine with close friends and family. Adding to the hygge feel are the soothing water sounds from the patio’s mosaic-tiled fountain and the ever-present ocean breeze. Make reservations online or call 561-340-1700.
· Hygge on the sand. Few things are more romantic than a private oceanfront dinner for two under the stars, complete with Champagne toast and a bottle of wine. What transforms it into hygge? Serving it on the beach itself, so the couple can slip off their shoes and feel the sand between their toes. The Date Night by the Sea package at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa (Pompano Beach, Fla.) doesn’t end there. Couples also can keep it cozy with daily continental breakfast in bed, served in their ocean view room or suite. The package starts at $449 per night based on a two-night minimum. Book online or call 855-954-4683.
· Hygge in a dream home. It may be true that there’s no place like home, but sometimes it’s nice to relax in someone else’s home – particularly if that home is a Basque-inspired, stone-clad four-bedroom Colorado estate tucked into the woods on a remote Telluride hillside. Villa Mendia is just one of an exceptional portfolio offered by InvitedHome, a leader in the red-hot luxury vacation home rental market. What makes it hygge? A jetted soaking tub, coal-fired sauna and outdoor hot tub. A media room with a comfy, oversized couch for movie night. An expansive, old-world kitchen with all the latest cooking toys and a wood-burning oven for open-fire s’mores. An eight-burner gas grill for a barbecue on the spacious patio. In other words, a perfect mix of settings for private moments and communal fun. Visit www.invitedhome.com or call 866-600-8075.
· Hygge in the High Peaks. The Forbes Four Star all-suite Whiteface Lodge, tucked away in the High Peaks of Lake Placid, New York, raises the hygge bar with two Adirondack-style lakeside lean-tos, comfortably furnished and available to guests for cigars and cognac by a firepit under the starry night sky. Furnishings throughout the resort are handcrafted from hand-milled timber and each suite has its own cast-iron fireplace. As if that weren’t hygge enough, there are warm cookies at turndown and nightly s’mores. For reservations, visit www.thewhitefacelodge.com or call 888-582-0505.