Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lobsterfest 2010

Lobsterfest 2010 was a blast! Mini lobster season in Florida is always the last Wednesday and Thursday in July (and also happens to be the week prior to my dad's birthday). All he ever wants for a gift is for everyone to be in the Florida Keys for this annual family event.

Lobsterfest begins early (4 AM) Wednesday morning as we board the boat and head out to the Gulf of Mexico in pitch black. This is so that we can arrive early and perch over our pre-determined lobster spots and wait for the sun to come up so we can find the lobsters (aka Bugs). Once the sun comes up, the divers go down to get our daily 6 bugs person limit.

Although I don't dive to get the bugs, my job is very important. I serve as "VP of Lobster Quality and Quantity Control" as you can only have legal-sized lobster (each one must be measured carefully) and no more than 6 per person.

I'm not sure if it's the quality time with my family or the fact that this is a yearly trip we've done since I was a child (or both), but I will always have fond memories of these lobster-induced trips. I will always make sure I am in the Florida Keys every year at the end of July. It doesn't get any better than this!

No comments: