Sunday, July 31, 2011

Girls Getaway to Northern Michigan - Day 1

Michigan’s "Little Finger" and "Tip of the Mitt" region is a year round recreational wonderland, where world-class golf and winter sports have replaced the logging operations that brought settlers to the area.

In July, I made my way to Gaylord, Michigan, which is home to Treetops Resort. I went from New York City to Detroit to Traverse City, MI by plane, and then on to Gaylord which was a 75-minute car ride northeast from Traverse City.

During the drive to Gaylord, I saw Lake Michigan, as well as the rugged natural charm and gorgeous landscapes that resonate so well with the state’s tagline: Pure Michigan. I was surprised by the abundance of locally-produced fudge shops in the area...these people must REALLY love their fudge here. Plus, I had one of the best shuttle drivers ever....Pat Sheridan. This guy had me laughing the entire car ride...what a comedian! I will never forget him.

I arrived at Treetops Resort, which is situated on 3,500 acres of pristine Michigan soil. The property is beautiful. In fact, when Travel Michigan filmed the Pure Michigan Campaign they came to Treetops. The resort boasts 81 holes of championship golf designed by golf greats Robert Trent Jones Sr., Tom Fazio and Rick Smith. Treetops is home to a full-service spa, conference and meeting facilities, indoor and outdoor pools and whirlpools, along with a variety of dining and accommodations options, and award-winning children's programs with a fully-certified daycare facility on site. Plus, they are well known for their winter ski programs for families.

No comments: