Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Everyday Etiquette, For The (Sometimes) Not So Nice Travel World

I am thrilled to share a wonderful new book, Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations, written by my friend Patricia Rossi who is also a correspondent for the NBC Daytime TV Show. We have spent several mornings in the show’s Green Room and always have the best conversations as you cannot help but instantly like her. Like me, Patricia was raised in the south and spent most of her childhood as a tomboy.

Patricia is an etiquette coach, consultant and public speaker. Her nationally syndicated Manners Minute airs weekly on a number of NBC, CBS and ABC television stations. She’s Twitter’s #1 etiquette professional and she (like me) resides in Florida.

When Patricia sent me a copy of her new book, I couldn’t wait to read it, especially the Chapter Eight about Travel. How appropriate that I read this book in an airport during a three-hour flight delay. As if traveling by plane is not challenging enough, imagine a plane full of people who have already waited three hours just to be crammed into a small space with bad air. I am now with many cranky and unhappy people, which is when etiquette and manners are seldom found.

Airplane/airport etiquette (or the lack thereof) is one of my biggest pet peeves since I spend more time there than I do at my house. Patricia’s tip: “Before pushing back in your seat, be considerate. Take a glance backward and give a verbal cue to the person seated behind you....” should be printed and posted on the seat back in front of everyone. I cannot tell you how many times people have flown back in their seats only to slam into my laptop or even hit me in the face. It’s just plain rude.

I could go on and on about travel etiquette, but Patricia’s book does a great job of covering the essentials. Her book also covers etiquette in the areas of social media, introductions, table manners, business matters, children, petiquette, giving/receiving gifts, sports and celebrations. In addition (hey singles), her section on dating gives quite a few helpful tips (yes, I have been on dates with men who snap their fingers at waitstaff and are completely annoying).

So be sure to check out Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations. I guarantee you will find something that will assist you with your professional or personal life. To buy the book, visit Amazon.com. For more information about Patricia, visit www.PatriciaRossi.com.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Love it! Good to know!
XXOO