Tired of buying dad the same tie and golf widget every year for Father’s Day? How about making it a memorable day for dad this year with a special trip that he will remember forever? And to get the ideas flowing, here are a few ideas from The Getaway Girl® herself, Casey Wohl.
Aruba - Located amidst the white sands of Palm Beach, The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba invites dads to 'hog heaven' this Father's Day with their new Hog Island Special. The premier resort has partnered exclusively with the local Big Twin Aruba Harley-Davidson Dealership to bring guests a unique island touring experience bike-side. Featuring discounted Harley-Davidson rentals, the five-night package allows guests to discover the 19.6-mile Caribbean island atop one of the finest pieces of machinery on two wheels: a Harley-Davidson! Available May 1-December 16, the Hog Island Special starts at $199 per night and includes: Ocean-view room accommodations, 20% off half- and whole-day rentals of all motorcycles at Big Twin Aruba, 10% off all Harley-Davidson apparel and memorabilia when paying in cash (or) 5% off when paying with credit card and $150 food and beverage resort credit.
For $20 more, riders can join a four-hour guided tour of historic sites like the California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Baby Beach and more. The resort's GM will also join riders once a month on his own Harley as they discover Aruban culture and history. For hotel reservations call (877) 782-0149 or visit www.westinaruba.com. When booking, please use rate plan HARLEY. For rental reservations visit Big TwinAruba.
Bolivia - Is dad a fisherman? How about fly fishing for Golden Dorado in Bolivia? Picture fishing a remote freestone stream where the Amazon merges with the Andean hardwoods...all of this pushes this tour from "special" to "extraordinary." Anglers spend four nights in Seure Lodge, near the Chimán Indian village, fishing both the upper and lower beats. The rivers are inhabited by two different Dorado species and other fish from the Amazon basin, such as the Pirapitinga or Amazon Pacu and the Yatorana (pound by pound, one of the strongest fresh-water species). On the fourth day, a skiff ride to the Chimán village, a 10-minute charter flight, and a jungle trek brings anglers to the second lodge of the week, Pluma Lodge. Tsimane Lodges were created for anglers to fish one of the most pristine uninterrupted jungle regions in the world. However, birders will find a variety of species to add to their life list and a migratory butterfly population is home to this region.
To get there: American Airlines via Miami is the best (and most cost efficient) way to get to Santa Cruz, Bolivia, which is the jumping off point for the Dorado program. The details: $7,600 per person for an 8-night/6.5-day fishing package inclusive of 2 overnights in Santa Cruz at Los Tajibos Hotel and Resort and 3 internal charters. In total, a 10-day trip. International air, gratuities and Bolivian Visa ($130 paid at Santa Cruz Airport) are not included. For more information, click here.
Oklahoma - Broken Bow, OK is the place to go if families want to take Dad to experience nature at its majestic best. Located in the heart of the Kiamichi Mountains, McCurtain County is home to Broken Bow Lake, Pine Creek Lake, the Mountain Fork, Eagle Fork and Glover Rivers and Beavers Bend State Park - where camping and staying in a remote cabin is absolutely fantastic. There are deep mountain lakes surrounded by National Forests; log cabins and camping grounds nestled in the towering pines and clear running rivers. An easy 2 to 4-hour drive from Dallas, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, OK, Tyler, TX, Little Rock, AR and Shreveport, LA.
*LIFE Magazine named McCurtain County’s Beavers Bend as one of the “100 Places To See In Your Lifetime"
*FOX News in Oklahoma City has done a 6 part travel series on the Beavers Bend State Park area.
* Southern Living Magazine named this area one of the top 3 places in the South to see fall colors.
Plus, there's tons of stuff to do there: Camping, Fish for Trout (state record+17 lbs for brown), Kayak (class 2 & 3 rapids as well as calm lake waters), Golf (Best Municipal course in OK by Golf Digest Magazine), Gaming (Choctaw Casino), miles of hiking through mountains, biking, parasail/scuba diving over and in 14,000 lake, birding, geo-caching, boat rentals (sailboats, paddleboats, ski boats, house boats, jet skis, party barges, canoes).
In McCurtain County, there’s something for every family. Your vacation or weekend getaway can include almost any kind of lodging you prefer--from a rustic cottage or “fisherman’s retreat” to modern motels to elegantly appointed log cabins nestled in the towering pines, as well as unique bed & breakfasts. To make reservations, visit the website or call 800-528-7337.
Canada - CanadianRockies of Western Alberta for a unmatched experience for Dads this year - including Banff, Jasper, Canmore and Kananaskis Country. It's within easy flight access from most major airports into Calgary (serviced by most major air carriers including Delta, United, US Airways and more).
* 15-hour Daylight Golf Marathon: Visit the Canadian Rockies near the Summer Solstice, and expect the sun to rise at 7 am and fall around 10 pm daily - making 36 holes a day not only manageable, but easy. Try the Iron Man Golf Package, including eight rounds and five night's stay, starting at $1,439 CAD per person. You might actually fit in three full rounds with this much sun.
* Canmore and the Calgary Stampede: The famed Calgary Stampede will celebrate its Centennial in early July. Enjoy the popular Chuckwagon Races and then drive a quick hour west to the hip and fresh Canmore, playing the meaty Silvertip or Stewart Creek mountain courses with the laid-back Canmore Golf & Curling Club. May Canmore packages start at $174 CAD per person, for a round and an overnight stay.
* Drive and Fly (Fishing, That is): Golfers and anglers will love the Pins and Fins package, combining two days of golf with a full-day fly-fishing excursion with guide and equipment included. Stay four nights, starting at $979 CAD per person.
* Ultimate Dad's Getaway (for 8 golfers): The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is celebrating their 90th Anniversary with their Jasper Great Golf Getaway, including three nights, two rounds, golf lessons, private Scotch tasting, fly fishing and lakeside barbecue, starting at $3,125 CAD per person.