Hello Getaway Girls! Here is some great shopping advice from my friend Kelly Machbitz:
Learning how to shop "off retail" stores can double or triple your buying power. Follow these tips to get the most out of your shopping experience:
1. Take a tour of the store. New merchandise is usually placed at the front of the store and starting there will give you first hand advantage to grab up the fresh merchandise while there is still a selection. Then walk to the back of the isles and along the outer perimeter where the end caps are located and where a majority of discounted items can be found. Don't forget to make your way to the back of the store where the clearance merchandise is located.
2. Know when to go. Does the store offer senior or military discount days? If so (and it applies to you), plan to do your shopping on those days to maximize your savings.
3. Shop on a weekday. By shopping mid-week you will fight fewer crowds and get more assistance from sales staff if necessary. Also shopping between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm, while most office workers are still on the job, leaves the isles freer for you to browse.
4. Dress comfortably. Wear shoes and clothing that are easy to slip in and out of so you can easily try things on and spend less time in the dressing room.
5. Plan ahead. If you see something you know you'll eventually need, like holiday or formal wear, buying it now will save you lots of money down the road.
6. Be patient. If you find an item you want but it isn't discounted deeply enough for your budget, return in a week or two. The price should have dropped by then--if the item isn't sold out completely.
Remember, the keys to discount shopping are persistence & patience. Shop frequently and buy when the price is right.
If you have questions or suggestions for a future Better Beauty Blog, email Kelly at AskKellyQuestions@yahoo.com.