Saturday, January 29, 2011

One Girl's Getaway to London - New Friends

After the sightseeing, I realized how hungry I was. I took a north bound tube (underground) to meet my friend Sharron (a fellow travel writer I met in Montreal) and her friends in the town of Cockfosters. We had a great dinner and then hit one of their favorite local bars, The Orange Tree (www.theorangetreetotteridge.co.uk/), which was appropriate for a girl from Florida. As more friends arrived, we enjoyed cocktails and laughed as they did their very best to teach me proper English jargon (i.e. swim costume).

The next day (Dec. 24) I caught the train from Liverpool to County Somerset, where my stop, Tiverton Parkway, was where I connected with my friend Beth (who I met on press trip to St. Lucia). During the train ride, I met the nicest young lady, Lizzie, who confessed she is obsessed with Americans and we chatted during the entire two-hour train ride about everything American. Beth picked me up and showed me around her home town. I met her friends and stopped off for a few at the local pub, then we drove to Taunton where her parents live (and where we would spend the next two nights and Christmas Day).

No comments: