Experts are saying that if 2008 was the year of the “staycation,” then 2009 is the year of the “naycation” and people just aren’t going to be traveling. With leisure travel down by double digits in the last quarter of 2008, this news is no surprise. CNN.com cites 9 reasons for this trend:
1. Bad economy
2. No vacation budget
3. Uncertain about 2009
4. Tired of being lied to
5. 2008 staycations were boring
6. Deals are good but not good enough
7. People don’t feel like traveling
8. Travel industry doesn’t get it
9. Making vacation plans for 2010
To view the full article, visit http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/12/30/naycations/index.html.
If you are like me and will still find a way to travel (where there’s a will there’s a way), here are some ways I’ll be making my travel dollars go further this year:
1. Use travel points – In November, I paid for my rental car, one night hotel room and air fare to LA all with travel points from various sources (credit card, hotel reward programs, airline point programs, etc). If you have these points, now if the time to use them. If you aren’t signed up for these programs, do so today!
2. Travel in groups – This could be a girls getaway or a couples trip. Whatever your desired trip, think of ways to invite more people along to help spread out costs such as hotel room, transportation, etc.
3. Visit friends/family – Perhaps you have friends or family who live in a city you have never visited before. Take this time to stay with them and explore their city, thus allowing you to spend little money on things like lodging, food, transportation, etc.